Pronounced Lanreth, the Parish can trace its existence back at least to the Domesday Book of 1086, when it was known as Lanredoch. The present version is a derivation of the 'church site (Lann) of Raydhogh'. Unfortunately, nothing seems to be known about him (or her?) so if anyone can enlighten us do get in touch through this link Contact Us
Lanreath is well steeped in legend, including the alleged sighting on numerous occasions of a ghost dressed in black driving a coach pulled by headless horses. Intending visitors shouldn’t worry though - he hasn't been seen for ages!
In 1620, the Punch Bowl Inn became the very first licensed public house in the Land. Parts of the building date back even earlier. The building has served variously as a courthouse, coaching inn and smugglers den, but closed on the 1st May 2012. It is doubtful it will open again as a pub, but who knows? - watch this space.
The present day Lanreath has a population of around 500, its economy sustained by farming and tourism. It is ideally placed for the latter, with the coast being a short distance to the south and the moors to the north.. The surrounding attractions are too numerous to list here, so have a look at our Places to Stay page and come and see for yourself. You'll be very welcome!
Read about the legend of St.Piran, Patron Saint of Cornwall